Nel primo 1800 fu costruita una piccola cappella nel girdino dell’Hotel Bellevue, ma dato il numero crescente dei visitatori inglesi nella zona, la cappella divenne ben presto inadeguata. Venne così costruita da Giuseppe Brentano l’Ascension Church a Cadenabbia, che venne terminata nel 1891 grazie alle donazioni di oltre 350 persone.
Il terreno fu donato da Mr. A. Heathcote Long, il mosaico d’oro dietro l’altare fu aggiunto nel 1927. Molte parti delle bellissime vetrate ottocentesche furono distrutte durante la seconda guerra mondiale e vennero ricostruite completamente nel 1970.
In the early 1800’s a small chapel was constructed in the grounds of the Hotel Bellevue, but with the increasing numbers of English speaking visitors and residents in the region it proved to be inadequate. The Church of the Ascension in Cadenabbia, is a masterpiece of Giuseppe Brentano, a young Italian architect and was completed and consecrated on Michelmas Day in 1891 with over 350 people subscribing to the cost.
The grounds were donated by Mr. A. Heathcote Long. The gold mosaic behind the altar, perhaps the most striking feature of the church, was added in 1927. Many of the beautiful stained glass windows were destroyed during World War II, but a new rose window was installed in the 1970’s depicting the favorite flowers of a former churchwarden.
Come raggiungere questa sede / How to get to this location:
Via Regina, 31
22011 Griante CO
Prossimi eventi in questa sede: / Next events in this location: